Skip to main content

Am I My Brother's Keeper?

According to Worldometers.com, there are 7 BILLION people in the world today. Did you read that? 7 BILLION! That’s an amazing figure if you ask me. It’s amazing because GOD took a few handfuls of dirt and breathed His own breath into a creature, a man, and He named him Adam. Then He pulled a rib from Adam and made another creature, a woman, and He named her Eve. From Adam and Eve came the FIRST OFFSPRINGS OF HUMANITY, Cain and Abel.

After Cain KILLED Abel, Adam and Eve had more children and their children had children and so on, and so on and VOILA, 7 BILLION PEOPLE are on this Earth! But wait, let’s go back to that whole shebang about Cain killing Abel. How did this happen? The celebration of LIFE in the Garden of Eden had just begun and you mean to tell me somebody was killed ALREADY? You’ve got to be kidding me yo!

Ya homeboy Cain got jealous of Abel basically because Abel received more favor from God. And it was not because God was showing any kind of favoritism either. Abel did what he was supposed to do and then some, so God returned the favor. When I read this story in Genesis 4, I always thought that all Cain had to do was do the SAME THING Abel did to get the same kind of favor, you feel me? But NO! What did his baldheaded self do? He killed his brother and when God asked Cain where his brother was, CHILE BOOM read what this man creature had the NERVE to say…

                                           Genesis 4: 9
“And the LORD said to Cain, Where is your brother Abel? And he said, I don’t know: Am I my brother's keeper?”

SMH! God should have slapped Cain upside the head! God knew Abel was dead and he knew Cain killed him. I believe he was trying to grant Cain an opportunity to be HONEST and fess up to the crime. But NO! Baldhead LIED and even worse he shirked his responsibility and commitment to his brother by saying, “AM I MY BROTHER’S KEEPER?”

For those of you who thought that the phrase, “AM I MY BROTHER’S KEEPER?” came from the movie New Jack City, you’re wrong! Lol It didn’t come out of the mouth of the drug dealer Nino Brown, first. It first came from the fruit pusher, Cain. Yup!

This was a powerful statement to me. Actually this entire scene in The Bible was significant. You see how nonchalant Cain was when asked the whereabouts of his only brother at the time? How heartless he had to be to KILL HIM. Believe it or not, we are descendents of that premeditated foolery. We don’t care about each other. We’re cruel, we’re selfish, we’re ignorant….TOWARDS EACH OTHER!

We lie to and on each other. We kill each other. We steal from each other. We hate on each other. WHY? Are we not our brother’s keeper? To make it even worse, the people of the church are looking JUST like the people who are in the world! Aren’t we SUPPOSED to be just a tidbit DIFFERENT? I hate to say it, but if you need somebody that’s good at cutting throats and stabbing people in the back you can find a good one in the church.

It’s time to STOP with the foolishness! Real talk! When are we going to start being KIND to one another for a change? When are we going to start putting others first? When are we going to start LOOKING OUT for each other? There’s nothing wrong with giving and loving someone selflessly that isn’t necessarily in your family tree. Did you know that the end of the day WE’RE ALL CONNECTED in some kind of way? It’s not a crime to love someone you don’t know without conditions or expectations.

If hate’s a contagious disease, LOVE IS THE CURE. We have to start looking at the people we come into contact with, as just another reflection of ourselves. I find humor in the fact that we can do wrong to others all day long without a care in the world whatsoever until that same WRONG is dumped back on us. Oh now YOU say something. Why does LOVE need to be PROVOKED? Why can’t it just be EFFORTLESS?

We see our brother or our sister down, and we either throw stones at them or we walk away, like “Ole well, it ain’t me.” You know I recently made a conscious decision to stop comparing my life to someone worse off than me when I’m in a bad spot. You know what I mean, that whole saying, “A lot of people don’t even have what you have. So you should be grateful.” And that’s supposed to make me happy? Using someone else’s misfortunes to make myself feel better, Is just WRONG!

I would rather look at it this way, I can’t stay in this bad situation forever because there’s some people who are in even worse situations that can USE MY HELP when I get out of this jam! You see what I mean? You have to FLIP IT!  If you’re the only one holding on to LOVE don’t let the toxins of HATE, MALICE, DECIET swallow it. Don’t be AFRAID to LOVE when you don’t see it anywhere. Chances are YOU’RE the one that’s responsible for changing that.

    Mark 12-30-31
“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’[a] 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] There is no commandment greater than these.”

We have to take this scripture to heart! We have to come together! We have to become  huge fists of LOVE that beats down HATE! How can we accomplish anything GREAT if we can’t even love our neighbors as we love ourselves? How can we CHANGE the world if we refuse to help each other out and STICK TOGETHER! I don’t even know what lead me here considering the fact I have a history of having my LOVE being taken advantaged of, overlooked, stomped on, and abused. And I’m on a boat that’s being rocked to and fro but you know what, I’m on the boat with JESUS. He’s been showing me in the midst of this hellacious storm I’m in, what LOVE LOOKS LIKE and what LOVE CAN DO.

So I LOVE YOU ALL! I don’t have to know you to LOVE YOU! I just do! I hope this reaches somebody. I hope you’re reading this and it has you wondering. I hope you can walk away from your computer, tablet, phone whatever and ask yourself, “AM I MY BROTHER’S KEEPER?” I hope you can walk away and say “YES!”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry Crush

Have you ever developed a crush for someone? How did you feel? How did you respond to this feeling? Did you challenge it? Did you explore it? Did it ever go away?  I remember my first crush. I was in first grade when I met Calvin. He was the cutest light bright I'd ever seen. My teacher caught on and would actually allow us to sit together. We would enjoy our innocent times, him making me laugh and me sharing my snacks. I loved him before I even knew what love was. But Calvin was a bad boy. He got in trouble a lot. I would take up for him too. But one day I would not be able to see him again because he moved away and transferred to another school. My heart was torn in half as I would miss him for a while.  That was about 24 years ago. Since then I've had a few crushes. None of them really went anywhere but to a disappointing dead end. Which has provoked me to seek understanding of what does "having a crush," really mean. In all honesty, having a crush on so

DEATH TO BOAZ!

If I hear another woman of God say she’s waiting on her “Boaz”, I’m going to scream my lungs bloody and hit her upside the head with an offering basket! Real talk! You’ve read the title, so you probably already can guess that this post is not going to be the nicest cup of tea you’ve had to drink. But you have to drink it and YES THIS IS YOUR BUSINESS! I hate to break it to you dear, BOAZ is not coming! Boaz was for Ruth and Ruth only. Boaz was tied to Ruth’s assignment. He is not TIED TO YOURS! I am afraid that the church has cooked up this lovely fairytale that every woman has a BOAZ designated for her. WRONG! If you go into the word, Boaz wasn’t even all that aaaaanndd Naomi helped Ruth come up with a cute little scheme to get homie’s attention. RUTH 3:1-5 One day Ruth’s mother-in-law Naomi said to her, “My daughter, I must find a home[a] for you, where you will be well provided for. 2 Now Boaz, with whose women you have worked, is a relative of ours. Tonight he wi

The Effectual Fervent Prayer

I am convinced that there is no such thing as an unanswered prayer. I believe I’ve touched on this before in an earlier post. But I’ve received some new revelations to add to my case. 2 Corinthians 1:20 For no matter how many promises God has made, they are "Yes" in Christ. And so through him the "Amen" is spoken by us to the glory of God. So does this mean that every prayer we send up, God says “Yes” to? Well, I must inform you, that it’s a little more complicated than that. Yet, it’s  not at all hard to understand. There is a three part transaction in this entire process. First we have OUR PRAYERS. Second, we have GOD’S PROMISES. Third, we have THE AMEN.” Yo, I’m so excited to explain this in full!  YOUR PRAYERS: The desires and issues of your heart are the language behind your prayers. Whatever interferences your heart experiences (that rhymes! Lol) determines the kind of prayer that you lift up to God. God will ALWAYS answer the prayer. Th