Skip to main content

Waiting to Exhale



Isaiah 54:4
Fear not, for you shall not be ashamed; neither be confounded and depressed, for you shall not be put to shame. For you shall forget the shame of your youth, and you shall not [seriously] remember the reproach of your widowhood any more.

Happy Wednesday gang! I pray your weekend was bombtastic and your week is treating you well. On the flipside, if you happen to be reading this and have been affected in someway by our current government shutdown know that I'm sincerely praying for your covering and protection. Don't allow fear and panic to cause you to look at the storm. Keep your eyes on Jesus and block out the rude insensitive comments of people who are too prideful to be empathetic. 

Because I myself experienced being completely unemployed for a little over two years, I somewhat know what it's like to feel as if you're drowning and there is no hint of help coming. 
I tell you this, though some days I was depressed as all homemade hell, if I didn't have my faith in God, that depression would have morphed into a monster and I'm pretty sure I would have lost my mind! 

So I'm praying that God keeps your mind while our government figures itself out! I pray that the grace of God subsidizes your life to keep you afloat and that He blesses angels to come in and assist you when needed the most. And keep this in mind, don't hesitate to show hospitality to strangers for you could be entertaining an angel and not know it. (Hebrews 13:2) God has an impeccable way of sending help through the pipeline of the divine and being a present help in the time of trouble to the point that the ravaging effects of a storm is remitted. 
I give you permission to mark my words!

Alright, I believe I've met my exhortation quota for the day. Ha! 
Let's get into to it shall we? 
Last week, I attempted to destroy the biblical myth that Proverbs 24:16, provides a loophole for our flesh where we're allowed to fall at least seven times without repercussions. 
There is no concession for the flesh and there are no scriptures in the 66 books of the bible that suggests that there are. 

Those in sincere right standing with God have insurance for a U-turn when they fall. Those who aren't in right standing, aren't quite given that same guarantee. Not because God doesn't want to, but because their posture rejects Him. 

Let us merge into an adjacent lane today. 
This weekend, I took a seat on the train behind a young man talking to another guy. I was debating on if I should switch seats because an overwhelming stench immediately grabbed a hold of both my nostrils without mercy. (The joys of public transit.) For some reason this wasn't enough to arouse me to switch seats. The train had made a few stops before the young man asked me for directions for where he was headed. I kindly let him know that he wasn't that far from his destination. 

Then out of nowhere, he opened up to me. He shared that he'd just got out of jail on New Year's Eve and that he'd been locked up since he was 17. He shared that he was now 23 and took the case for his dad, whom I assumed was s drug dealer. He told me He grew up in the Robert Taylor Housing Projects here in Chicago and believed that his time in jail was God's way of protecting him from that environment. He went on to tell me that he has 13 siblings of whom none of them wants to reconnect except his twin brother. He also shared that his grandfather left his siblings a house in Mississippi. His mom moved down there but he doesn't want to go, preferring to stay here. 

I invited him to my church and shared some words of wisdom with him before getting off at my stop. I urged him to be careful in these streets and not to be influenced by the negativity. He looked me dead in my eyes and said, 
"Listen, I have the blood of Jesus! I fear no man. I fear no one but God!" 

That right there gave me chills. I could not shake his testimony. 
Moreover, I could not disregard the fact that he had no shame whatsoever about his story. 
He did not know me from Eve and yet he was willing to expose the darkest diary pages of his heart. 
I weeped for him when I got home that day and others like him who have a similar testimony but are too embarrassed to release their low down dirty shame. 

I thought about all of the people who've recently decided to go public with some things that they've either dealt with or are dealing with and the backlash that has followed their heroism.
And I wonder why the backlash? 
Why do we herald secrecy and ridicule transparency? 
I don't understand this. 
Secrecy keeps diseases like shame alive! 

This is why it's not easy to be forthcoming about a spotted past especially as a Christian and to me it's no wonder why some believers choose to suffer in silence or continue on backslidden paths. It is no wonder why some people don't speak up about what they've done or what they've been subjected to for fear of having their faces smashed into their shame. 
No surprise at all why others choose to stay fallen, when more comfort seems to come from the large community of others whom have fallen than those who have seemingly taken the "straight and narrow way."
This should NOT be! 
Where is our compassion? 

Shame is a peculiar emotion. It's the lovechild of fear and disappointment. It can be more easily camouflaged. But just because it can be buried better, doesn't mean that it can't be just as lethal. It nags and slowly eats away at the sensitive parts of you like your confidence and self worth. The greater the shame the greater the inward erosion. The greater the inward erosion, the greater the likelihood of your witness as a believer being stifled. 

There's a cunning scheme of the enemy hashed out on those bogged down by shame. He employs people to craft environments that cultivates shame and solicits the thought that ones wounds are not safe anywhere but behind infected bandages. 
Those called according to God's purpose must take down this scheme so people can get free!

There are so many believers right now walking around with masks on in efforts to protect their shame. The very thing that is keeping them from living free. Ultimately, the very thing that is keeping them from witnessing to and delivering those who've suffered similar wounds. 

I highly doubt that God would allow this to continue any longer. Every single person has an assignment to carry out with WHOLE souls attached to them. These assignments mustn't be thwarted by anything including, SHAME! 
The kingdom of God is prepping for a vigorous rehabilitation.
The promise that was made to the people of Israel in 54:4 through the prophet, is being transferred to us in 2019 and it WILL be fulfilled. 

There is a severing of some sorts that will occur allowing for people bound in shame of every kind to be released from their burdens. The atmosphere is already shifting in expectation for this loosing. 
The house of God will not be exempt. 
How else will it reach the lost if there are no blankets of compassion available to those suffering from spiritual hypothermia as a result of being subjected to the harsh coldness of their shame.

I forget to mention, that the young man told me, he didn't even know he was going to get out of jail. Hear this, he said the guard came and knocked on his cell and to his surprise told him, he was being released. 

What if I told you that Jesus is coming to knock on the cells of those locked up by the shame of their youth and chained to the admonition associated with seasons where they didn't know God or was estranged from Him. 
Oh amazing grace! How sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me! Sings the old hymn. 
This is the beauty of God's grace and unrelenting love. 

I remember a few years ago, I was with an old affiliate at one of their family member's homes for a gathering. As the evening turned to night, raw transparency caused the lightheartedness of the gathering to be abruptly adjourned. 

Apparently, one of the siblings of my old affiliate had had one too many drinks. Her soul begin to regurgitate the deepest roots of her shame. She cried hard as if she'd been wanting to get that out for a long time. 
My old affiliate begin to pray for her. And as the gathering ended the woman gathered herself and then asked me to sing for her. She'd heard me sing once before and wanted to hear a song.
I didn't know what to sing but His Eye Is On The Sparrow
Somehow I wanted to believe that that song was a balm to heal her soul and that it washed away the residue of her shame. 

Hey, I don't know how God is going to show up for those who've been muzzled by shame. 
But I know he's going to appear, at random, and there will be no more waiting to exhale. If you're reading this and you're a prisoner of shame, you need not be afraid, at all!
Your sins have since been washed away. 
You will never be bound again! 
There's going to be a strong sigh of relief expressed across the land. 
We all must ready ourselves for this shedding and move out of the way. It is long overdo
Once again, I give you permission to mark my words. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry Crush

Have you ever developed a crush for someone? How did you feel? How did you respond to this feeling? Did you challenge it? Did you explore it? Did it ever go away?  I remember my first crush. I was in first grade when I met Calvin. He was the cutest light bright I'd ever seen. My teacher caught on and would actually allow us to sit together. We would enjoy our innocent times, him making me laugh and me sharing my snacks. I loved him before I even knew what love was. But Calvin was a bad boy. He got in trouble a lot. I would take up for him too. But one day I would not be able to see him again because he moved away and transferred to another school. My heart was torn in half as I would miss him for a while.  That was about 24 years ago. Since then I've had a few crushes. None of them really went anywhere but to a disappointing dead end. Which has provoked me to seek understanding of what does "having a crush," really mean. In all honesty, having a crush on so

DEATH TO BOAZ!

If I hear another woman of God say she’s waiting on her “Boaz”, I’m going to scream my lungs bloody and hit her upside the head with an offering basket! Real talk! You’ve read the title, so you probably already can guess that this post is not going to be the nicest cup of tea you’ve had to drink. But you have to drink it and YES THIS IS YOUR BUSINESS! I hate to break it to you dear, BOAZ is not coming! Boaz was for Ruth and Ruth only. Boaz was tied to Ruth’s assignment. He is not TIED TO YOURS! I am afraid that the church has cooked up this lovely fairytale that every woman has a BOAZ designated for her. WRONG! If you go into the word, Boaz wasn’t even all that aaaaanndd Naomi helped Ruth come up with a cute little scheme to get homie’s attention. RUTH 3:1-5 One day Ruth’s mother-in-law Naomi said to her, “My daughter, I must find a home[a] for you, where you will be well provided for. 2 Now Boaz, with whose women you have worked, is a relative of ours. Tonight he wi

The Effectual Fervent Prayer

I am convinced that there is no such thing as an unanswered prayer. I believe I’ve touched on this before in an earlier post. But I’ve received some new revelations to add to my case. 2 Corinthians 1:20 For no matter how many promises God has made, they are "Yes" in Christ. And so through him the "Amen" is spoken by us to the glory of God. So does this mean that every prayer we send up, God says “Yes” to? Well, I must inform you, that it’s a little more complicated than that. Yet, it’s  not at all hard to understand. There is a three part transaction in this entire process. First we have OUR PRAYERS. Second, we have GOD’S PROMISES. Third, we have THE AMEN.” Yo, I’m so excited to explain this in full!  YOUR PRAYERS: The desires and issues of your heart are the language behind your prayers. Whatever interferences your heart experiences (that rhymes! Lol) determines the kind of prayer that you lift up to God. God will ALWAYS answer the prayer. Th