Skip to main content

Not My Will

Colossians 3:12  
Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;

Alright folks! This week we MUST now develop a taste for one of THEE most bitter fruits out of the nine. 
I'm not sure if you've ever tasted a bitter melon or bitter gourd before.
My God!

First of all, it's ugly. 
It looks like a dried up, light skinned cucumber. To make matters worse, it's awful! It tastes like poison. I believe it's used in Asian dishes. 
I tried it alone just because out of curiosity.
!!!ICK!!!

But I heard it's most known for its nutrients and health benefits. 
My question is, why does it seem like the foods that have the most benefits taste like death?

Well, the same can be said for the fourth fruit of the spirit; LONGSUFFERING. 
In some versions of the Bible it's called forbearance. In other versions it's simply called patience. 
The King James version just happened to be blunt with it, calling it longsuffering. 

And because it isn't the most pleasant fruit, most believers prefer to avoid it or pray it away not knowing that there are benefits of longsuffering. 
I know you might be cringing at the thought of having to suffer long, but hear me out for a second. 

This isn't the same as a curse for an old testament transgressor. 
It is not the verdict for a sinner. 
It's a birthmark of a believer. 

I personally feel like I'm very close to earning my masters in longsuffering. Ha!
I've been through some things that I know for a fact had I not been in God, I would have reacted to pretty much everything, in a completely different manner. 

I discovered, that longsuffering isn't merely based on a series of unfortunate events mixed with agonizing wretched pain, but better yet a person's final response to them. It's the ABILITY to handle and carry a cross heavier than you, taller than you, from one side of something similar to a football field, to the other. 
Longsuffering is not an event. 
It's a calling. 

Ephesians 4:1-3
I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you to walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. 

Here's why Paul made sure to stipulate the love fruit first because it will be virtually impossible to place your human knee jerk responses to unfavorable circumstances on forbearance without it. Longsuffering serves a greater cause while love backs it up. 

God will never send you through the fire if there isn't to be a greater glory to be revealed in the future.
Longsuffering writes the script of your future. 

Why must we be willing to bear the fruit of longsuffering you ask? 
I believe, I myself from 5 years ago, can best give you the answer. 
Check this out!
 At the spur of the moment in the summer of 2014, I was commissioned to preach my first sermon before the church I previously belonged to. 

I'd had no previous experience in delivering a message in this form. Little did I know though, God had been prepping me for this. Prior, I'd survived a mental breakdown, survived being hit by a car, and I was shedding the feelings of rejection, disappointment and betrayal from previous seasons, among other things. 

 I also didn't know that this message would be more prophetic than anything considering shortly after I would come to recognize the fruit of longsuffering in a greater degree. 

Which has prompted me as I type this right now, to say that I no longer have any regrets or resentment. Everything that I've ever been through has made me who I currently am. I don't believe that I would be half the person I am, had I rejected the opportunity to come face to face with the very things that would assist in cultivating the fruit of longsuffering in me. 
I wouldn't even be able to deliver this message to you today. Nor handle NONE of the unique assignments God has handed to me to fulfill.

My character is an automatic byproduct of what I had to suffer through.  
I feel like King David in Psalms 119:71 when he said, "It was good for me that I had to suffer so that I may learn your decrees." David rejoiced in his past sufferings because he was able to recognize what he'd learned as a result.  

So all is well with me in the land of the living. 
My prayer is that you, YES YOU, find your release today after hearing this message and accept that the fruit of longsuffering has to be apart of your makeup or else your witness will be incomplete.

You're going to have to suffer through some situations, interactions and relationships with people. You're going to have show patience toward the attitudes and dysfunctions of people.  You're going to have to suffer through the inconsistencies of life. 
Some things you will encounter will be ugly, not pretty. 

Some of you will see first hand the dross of humanity and have to forgo the right to quit! 
Tormented souls will lash out at you because of the God in you and you're going to have to love on them in spite of, since God did the same for you. 

 My closing argument, at some point in your journey in Christ, you will have to say, 
"Not my will, but thy will be done, God." 
This, is the fruit of longsuffering. 


https://youtu.be/CHz4cnNh298
"The Benefits of Longsuffering" 9/7/14




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry Crush

Have you ever developed a crush for someone? How did you feel? How did you respond to this feeling? Did you challenge it? Did you explore it? Did it ever go away?  I remember my first crush. I was in first grade when I met Calvin. He was the cutest light bright I'd ever seen. My teacher caught on and would actually allow us to sit together. We would enjoy our innocent times, him making me laugh and me sharing my snacks. I loved him before I even knew what love was. But Calvin was a bad boy. He got in trouble a lot. I would take up for him too. But one day I would not be able to see him again because he moved away and transferred to another school. My heart was torn in half as I would miss him for a while.  That was about 24 years ago. Since then I've had a few crushes. None of them really went anywhere but to a disappointing dead end. Which has provoked me to seek understanding of what does "having a crush," really mean. In all honesty, having a crush on so

DEATH TO BOAZ!

If I hear another woman of God say she’s waiting on her “Boaz”, I’m going to scream my lungs bloody and hit her upside the head with an offering basket! Real talk! You’ve read the title, so you probably already can guess that this post is not going to be the nicest cup of tea you’ve had to drink. But you have to drink it and YES THIS IS YOUR BUSINESS! I hate to break it to you dear, BOAZ is not coming! Boaz was for Ruth and Ruth only. Boaz was tied to Ruth’s assignment. He is not TIED TO YOURS! I am afraid that the church has cooked up this lovely fairytale that every woman has a BOAZ designated for her. WRONG! If you go into the word, Boaz wasn’t even all that aaaaanndd Naomi helped Ruth come up with a cute little scheme to get homie’s attention. RUTH 3:1-5 One day Ruth’s mother-in-law Naomi said to her, “My daughter, I must find a home[a] for you, where you will be well provided for. 2 Now Boaz, with whose women you have worked, is a relative of ours. Tonight he wi

The Effectual Fervent Prayer

I am convinced that there is no such thing as an unanswered prayer. I believe I’ve touched on this before in an earlier post. But I’ve received some new revelations to add to my case. 2 Corinthians 1:20 For no matter how many promises God has made, they are "Yes" in Christ. And so through him the "Amen" is spoken by us to the glory of God. So does this mean that every prayer we send up, God says “Yes” to? Well, I must inform you, that it’s a little more complicated than that. Yet, it’s  not at all hard to understand. There is a three part transaction in this entire process. First we have OUR PRAYERS. Second, we have GOD’S PROMISES. Third, we have THE AMEN.” Yo, I’m so excited to explain this in full!  YOUR PRAYERS: The desires and issues of your heart are the language behind your prayers. Whatever interferences your heart experiences (that rhymes! Lol) determines the kind of prayer that you lift up to God. God will ALWAYS answer the prayer. Th